Sunday, November 18, 2012

Thanksgiving Traditions

Thanksgiving Traditions


I am such a holiday season junkie.
It starts early in the fall as the weather starts to cool and the leaves begin to turn, as evening comes earlier each week...school supplies, back to school, hoodies, leggings, sweaters, Uggs, hand knit mittens...that's me.
And of course, harvest fruits and veggies: apple picking, pumpkin picking, fall soups, homemade bread, lasagna with homemade noodles and sauce, salad turnips, winter greens, garden mums, cornstalk deco, gourds, hay bales, and more pumpkins. Oh, and walking in the woods kicking through crunchy leaves -- and the smell of fall in the chilly air, especially just before dusk in the woods. 
Perhaps I love all this because of the cozy, fall memories, warm colors, and rich comfort food, or perhaps, I love all this because of the building anticipation of the upcoming holiday season which is now upon us! Either way, we have made a point to embrace and appreciate each day of this, or least I have and the fam just puts up with me because they love me. 

I was a little behind on decorating this year -- usually I begin November 1st but it's mostly up now. The living room still awaits the fresh cut 7 foot Douglas fir and the outside lights have yet to be strung but those are late November/early December activities. The calendar is filling up with Christmasy things to do over the coming weeks such as the Nutcracker ballet, Black Friday shopping with the girls, Hershey Lights, a weekend of Christmas events in DC with Uncle Timmy, a couple birthdays, lighting of the Lititz Christmas tree, Landis Valley bonfire and Christmas caroling with the Moravian band, Christmas parties, and caroling with special friends. But then there are all my truly favorite activities: baking cookies and breads, Christmas music, stringing popcorn and cranberries in front of the fireplace, cozying up with the girls to watch sappy Hallmark Christmas movies, Christmas crafts, and making gifts together for friends and acquaintances.

First, however, comes Thanksgiving -- this week! Hmmm, I can smell it already! It was one of my favorites as a little girl, Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve, both at Grama's. By far, the two most wonderful days of the year as far as I was concerned. Now that we live hundreds of miles from home and from family, we have had to develop some of our own traditions, and with our new food habits, we have had to revise our Thanksgiving menu a bit. This year we are changing up a bit, though, by heading home for this holiday so Caleb can experience his first hunting season with his dad and grampa. 
I didn't think much about our menu until the other day during a conversation with my mother who I realized was very nervous that dinner was going to be made of all kinds of "yucky organic foods". I'm not sure if she thought I would be serving Tofurkey or Not-dogs with a side of Kombucha but I had to smile and I am actually super excited about the Thanksgiving menu we have developed as a family over the past few years. So, I thought I'd share some recipes and adjustments we have made to consume whole foods during our Thanksgiving feast. 

I must say, being together with thankful hearts for all the Lord has done is what truly makes the meal special. but the food is amazing, too. 
We have taken Thanksgiving back to a more traditional menu -- not wild game or anything like that, but nothing from packages, cans, or boxes, either. Simple, whole food goodness.
I have adjusted from year to year and I have learned not to go overboard -- whole food is even more filling than all the processed, trans fat stuff we used to over eat and fill up on, so I don't make as many things as I used to.

Here is a list of what we are planning this year (especially since I am feeding my father as well -- a special treat for me -- another person who eats veggies!!!!!).    

Thanksgiving Menu 2012

Roasted fresh, all natural turkey: no hormones, antibiotics, or by products, vegetarian diet, soaked overnight in a wonderful brine of cloves, orange, cinnamon, thyme, etc. 

Savory herb stuffing made from  homemade whole wheat loaves, similar to Grama's original recipe

Creamy mashed potatoes made with organic potatoes, organic butter, and organic heavy cream.....well, at least it's local and chemical free.....served with turkey gravy, this is so good because of the brine...

Cranberry-orange chutney -- Tony and I are the only ones who eat this -- the kids prefer the jellied, from the can stuff -- but this is so good, hmmm

Holiday whole grain bread made with dried cranberries, golden raisins, cinnamon, and orange zest....easy and wonderful

Steamed fresh broccoli with "Hollandaise" on the side

Harvest butternut squash soup adapted from Moosewood's recipe: can you say LOVE? Rich, creamy, goodness with a notes of onion, apple, and cinnamon

Sauteed, fresh green beans with applewood, nitrate free bacon and silvered almonds

Tender greens salad with sauteed honey-sweetened pecans, purple onion, golden raisins, apples, salad turnips, bits of the above applewood bacon, and whatever other on season veggies we have on hand. 

Roasted harvest fruit and vegetable bake: cranberries, chopped butternut squash, quartered apples, chicken broth, sea salt, sucannat, honey...so delicious, melt in your mouth goodness 

Honey glazed turnips, one of Tony and my new favorites. Simple and delicious. Perfect seasonal dish  

There you have it!The Myers Family Thanksgiving Feast!
I'll post recipes and tips throughout the week on the Well Fed Owl Facebook page. 

Oh, did I mention that we also have gingerbread spelt pancakes for breakfast with spiced peaches on top? Perfect parade food (and satiating -- keeps them out of the kitchen a while!).

No comments:

Post a Comment