Friday, February 8, 2013

Weight Loss and the Wheat Belly Question


Evidence implicating gluten's relationship to weight gain and obesity (the Wheat Belly controversy) continues to mount due to the completion of recent scientific studies! (Click here for recent article).

I do not want to repeat the article here but what it boils down to is this:

Like so many other food products that have been "adjusted" to increase shelf-life, production, and to decrease preparation time, wheat today, though not GMO YET (just genetically engineered), has undergone tremendous change. One of the most significant changes is that wheat 60+ years ago contained about 5% gluten protein and today it contains 50% gluten protein, which our bodies were just not designed to digest. 

In my own experience, I have definitely seen a reduction in both weight and waist size by removing wheat products from my personal whole foods diet. Those who I have coached for various reasons to move toward gluten free living have also noticed the same results. Most also have said they feel a difference digestively as well.

However, I have had no problem with digestion and bloating, blood sugar drops or hot flashes when I consume sprouted grain products like Ezekiel Bread or homemade soaked, whole wheat baked goods in small amounts. This leads me to believe that there truly is significant phytic acid and gluten breakdown occurring in those processes. 
Even my 14 year old daughter has struggled with digestive issues for years and within a couple months of gluten-free and pasteurized dairy-free living is feeling 100% healthier. 

So, I am excited this information is becoming increasing public awareness of the gluten-issue. The reason for this post for my Well Fed Owl friends, is to share a mini-soapbox related to the topic and give you some solid resources for your own personal study. 

My concern lies in the history of the food and drug marketplace to take advantage of a new "fad: and develop replacement products and pills in the attempt to promote financial gain (which is fine -- that's good business) but at the expense of our health, once again (not sound business practice). I'm just waiting for the new Wheat Belly fad diet books and programs to emerge. 

So I just want to continue to urge you to please keep reading your ingredient labels and understand that any fad is not necessarily healthy.
What we don't need is another diet extreme. If you abandon a wheat/gluten laden product for a replacement containing corn or soy, you will not lose weight and in some cases, may be consuming even unhealthier, problematic foods. Well over 90% of all soy and corn products in the USA are genetically modified and chemically treated, processed at high temperatures with deadly bleaching agents. Unfortunately, most grocery-store gluten free products are made from either corn or soy, also high in allergens. 

At this point, I continue to believe that a well balanced, whole foods diet rich in a variety of fresh fruits and veggies, whole grains, seeds, and nuts, mostly organic and chemical free, homemade meals and baked goods, omega 3 fats and oils, and low in sugars is naturally what we were created to consume on a daily basis. This is the "diet" the human body was designed to enjoy. You just cannot go wrong feeding your body the nutrition it requires to operate at it's maximum capacity. 

I would love your feedback and input -- your personal experience! For those of you who have gone gluten-free, do you have any recipes you would like to share?

Here is a super easy and inexpensive cookie recipe I tried last week from Nourishing Home and LOVE!!!! The kids made it without my help. 

Easy and yummy nutbutter cookies! Click here for recipe.

1 comment:

  1. Jody, thanks for the great info! This week, my husband had a co-worker stop by for dinner. His co-worker has been diagnosed with Celiac disease..he explains it as an internal wheat allergy. I knew that he was gluten free so I put together a gluten free Eggplant Parmesan that turned out quite good! -Amber H

    ReplyDelete